An individual may ask a priest to offer a Mass for several reasons: for example, in thanksgiving, for the intentions of another person (such as on a birthday), or, as is most common, for the repose of the soul of someone who has died. This is an act of faith in the powerful fruitfulness of the Mass. Paragraph 1371 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church says: “The Eucharistic sacrifice is also offered for the faithful departed who “have died in Christ but are not yet wholly purified, so that they may be able to enter into the light and peace of Christ.”
It is edifying that many of the faithful of Our Lady of the Assumption seek to have Masses offered, usually for the benefit of the deceased. This has necessitated a policy so that the widest number of parishioners can have an opportunity to have Masses said. Fairness and justice are guiding principles for this policy.
The following is the policy concerning Mass intentions, Vigil Lamp and Flower Donations:
- Three weeks prior to the opening of the Mass book, forms will be available for preparing the requested Masses.
- Each adult (18 years or older) may request for the following calendar year ONE Sunday Mass and FOUR weekday Masses. This will ensure that as many people as possible will be able to obtain Masses. The Mass Book form will provide an alternate Sunday and alternate weekday Masses in the event that your requested dates are unavailable. Please bring the Mass Request form with you on the day that the Mass Book is opened.
- The suggested offering for each Announced Mass is $15.00. The suggested offering for each Unannounced Mass is $10.00. Both have been increased this year.
- Each adult (18 years or older) may request ONE Vigil Lamp per year. The suggested offering for each Vigil Lamp is $20.00 to cover the cost of the candle. The Lamp must be paid for separately from the Mass Intentions by either cash or a separate check. Please bring the Vigil Lamp Request form with you the day the Mass Book is opened.
- The Mass book, Vigil Lamp sheets and Memorial Flower Arrangement Donations book will open each year on a Saturday in early November from 9:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. Numbered tickets will be given to those present and called in order.
- Following the initial Saturday opening in November, the Mass book will be open in the Parish Office for one additional week. At the end of that week, the Mass book will be open for funerals. The number of announced Masses per funeral will not exceed 10 Mass Intentions in order to accommodate a whole year of funeral Mass intentions. Single Mass requests will be accommodated based upon availability throughout the year.
- Other options for Mass intentions include: unannounced Masses; Seminary enrollments; Propagation of the Faith, etc. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Parish Office at 610-688-1178.